Preventing House & Business Fires
Preventing House & Business Fires
There are ways to prevent potentially fires from starting.
A parent’s worst nightmare is something happening to their children and not being able to help them. Imagine your house catches fire in the middle of the night. The first thing you do when you are awoken is try to get your children out. What if you can’t get to them, what if the fire is between you and the only way to get to their bedrooms? Not something we as parents want to think of, is it?
A business owners worst nightmare is losing their business which can potentially happen from a fire in the work place. What if I told you there are ways to prevent most fires from happening? Although there are fires we cannot prevent, there are ways to prevent potential fires from starting.
Batteries can Ignite
We all use batteries, 9 volts, AA, AAA, C, D batteries you get the gist. Where do you store them? Are they in one of your kitchen draws, a junk drawer or perhaps a bathroom drawer? For those that put them in a zip lock bag or small box, kudos to you, that is a safe way to store them. 9 volt batteries can come in contact with other metals like steel wool or paper…these materials can ignite when they come in contact. Just one spark and can potentially have a fire that goes out of control quickly on your hands. The other batteries can also create heat when in contact with other metals such as keys, change, and utensils…enough heat can create the spark needed to put you, your family and your business in jeopardy. Store them in a small box or a sip lock baggie if you must keep them loose. Whenever possible store them in their original packaging until use.
Most northern states have been having snow storms and frigid temperatures, thus many are using space heaters. Avoid space heaters if at all possible, if not get one with an automatic shut off if it were to tip over. Keep space heaters away from clothing and curtains. Do your homework when shopping for a heater, the new ones have safety features. We at Crisis Prevention and Restoration recommend getting rid of any older model space heaters as they don’t have any safety features.
Plastics, flammable cleaning supplies can start or fuel fires.
Everyone has cleaning supplies, most kept under your kitchen sink, bathroom sink or perhaps your laundry room. However, you should avoid storing flammable liquids in the home or office if at all possible. Storing them in a detached garage or shed is best. Fuel, paint and containers under pressure have to be in a cool dry place and away from heat sources. Items like fuel, paint, and containers under pressure need to be stored away from heat sources and in a cool, dry place. Don’t use empty bottles of a certain flammable liquid to store another, for example bleach and ammonia. Even if it’s just a few drops this mixture is extremely dangerous and toxic vapors will be produced. Read the labels for safe storage and what to do in an emergency if accidental ingestion or skin contact should occur.
Smoke detectors and fire extinguishers are necessary to keep your home and business safe. Make sure smoke detectors have properly working batteries. Make sure that everyone in your house or business is properly shown how to use the fire extinguisher.
House fires can start from dryer lint. Make sure you clean out your dryer lint tray after each use. You should also clean out the dryer duct at least every six months. There are plenty of resources online that will walk you through cleaning your dryer duct and it should only take 30 mins.